My 365

Monday, July 5, 2010

A Tribute

Heros are defined in many ways.  Personal heros could be anything from an athelete to an author.  More often they are defined by those who wear the uniform of public service, i.e. fireman, police officer, paramedic/EMT and military.  But how often can you say that your hero has worn all those proverbial hats?  My hero, my soldier, my husband has in fact worn all those uniforms.  Since he was 17 he has dedicated his life to public service.  He has always said that everytime he envisioned his future it has been in public service.  He started in the Army before he even graduated from high school.  He dedicated 14 years of his life to the Armed Forces before getting out and venturing on to other public service avenues.  All the while he stayed in the Air National Guard, never fully relinquishing his ties to the military.  He served in Panama, the first Gulf War and most recently the Iraq War.  For a period inbetween his military service he served as a firefighter and EMT.  When I met him 6 years ago he was on the police force in Savannah.  A thankless, tiring and often ridiculed job that he loved and was so good at.  Then he returned to active duty in the Army.  A ponderous decision for all of us, but one I ultimately think was right.  Even though it has separated us for long periods of time over the last three years, I know that he believes in what he's doing, he's in element.  He cares about his guys and is an impeccable leader.  This is truly what he was born to do.  I can't think of anyone I would trust more with my life, so much so that I've entrusted him with something far more fragile...my heart.  So in the spirit of this holiday where we celebrate our nations birth and the brave souls who fought and continue to fight for it, I celebrate one brave soul.  My love, my partner and my best friend.  You make me proud to say that you're mine.

No comments:

Post a Comment