My 365

Tuesday, May 25, 2010

Vintage

I took the kids over to Aunt Jane's house today to visit with Grandmom and Granddad.  While we were sitting there playing with the kids Grandmom started talking about how they used to have family picnics, and it got me thinking.  How cool must it have been to live in another time.  I know I talk about this a lot, but well, I think about it a lot!  Think about a time when there was no tv, no internet, no texting.  People actually used to have socialize with each other in person! (gasp)  They would go on picnics, have big family dinners, parties, dances, etc.  When was the last time you got to go to a dance?  High school for me, unless you count the Military Ball last year, but I didn't get to dance so I don't count that.  I read a lot of books set in the 19th century and I just love the idea of socializing.  I know I'm romantisizing a lot of it, because there were some not so great things about those times, too, but can you imagine?  The courtships, intrigue and grand affairs.  The society!  I think I was born in the wrong era.  How romantic would it be to be courted in another time.  There were hardly any distractions!  Of course people had to make a living, but it wasn't the 12 hours a day, claw-your-way-to-the-top kind of job.  A man had time to focus on you.  To spend time together, for him to think about you, woo you and really have the time to fall in love.  *swoon*  It just makes me think that sometimes bigger and faster is not always better.  I want to socialize, but those opportunities are rare.  People are so busy and we limit our social lives to texting, emailing and networking.  Which are fun in their own right, but nothing like being able to just drop by a friends house and visit to share some lemonade on the back porch swapping stories.  I want to look forward to a dance where the whole town shows up and you actually get to have a dance card and flirt and laugh.  Ok, I need to put down the romance novels...they're starting to mess with my head.  I'm just sayin'!  :)

No comments:

Post a Comment