My 365

Thursday, May 13, 2010

Tybee Island




We took a trip to Savannah this past weekend for Mother's Day.  Mom and Dad came down with Grandmom and Granddad and we vistited with my mom's parents and the rest of the family and it was a really nice weekend.  Well, on Monday I wated to take the kids to me and Mike's old stomping grounds, Tybee Island.  My Aunt Dale and her husband (my former neighbors on Tybee) were supposed to go with us, but she called in sick so it was just Paul, her husband.  So we made the drive down there and as we crossed the final bridge the memories started flooding back to me.  Mike and I met on Tybee, when we both lived there.  It was the happiest time of my life.  Life was so good then.  We drove around a little bit and while I know it was stupid, I couldn't help myself and I drove by Mike's old apartment.  I just wanted to badly to see his old red truck parked out front so I could burst through the front door and throw my arms around him.  There was no red truck and my chest tightened, but I tried to think of the good things we shared on Tybee.  I saw the old restaurants where we would have breakfast every Sunday morning and where we had our first date.  The boardwalk by my old apartment that we would walk down at night to stroll the beach and splash each other playfully.  This island isn't just where we met and where our romance bloomed, it is us.  We are all over that island, our memories and happy dreams.  I miss it so much, but I know everything happens for a reason.  Things would be so different if we had stayed.  We wouldn't have the same happy memories that we can go back and visit anytime, they would be tainted by life.  I'm glad I will always have Tybee to go back to and live our romance all over again any time I wish.  It is such a special place where I met a special man who makes me so happy.  I look forward to going back and celebrating our love on Tybee when Mike returns.  Something to look forward to. :)


The boardwalk by my old apartment

No comments:

Post a Comment